Skip to main content

Full text of "minutes 2004 11"

See other formats


BRAILLE AUTHORITY OF NORTH AMERICA 
FALL MEETING 


Friday, November 5, 2004: 9:00 AM — 5:00 PM 
Saturday, November 6, 2004: 9:00 AM — 5:00 PM 
Sunday, November 7, 2004: 9:00 AM — 1:00 PM 


Hosted By 
CLOVERNOOK CENTER FOR THE BLIND & VISUALLY IMPAIRED 
CINCINNATI, OHIO 


MINUTES 
1 Call COP ORAST EEEE ane tesa kit E ETE anise A TAA TE Kim Charlson 
Kim Charlson called the meeting to order at 8:55 AM on Friday, November 5, 2004. 
2 Welcome nnana a a A ONE David Grimes 


David Grimes welcomed us to Clovernook Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired and 
explained details for the arrangements of the meeting. CCBVI President Jeff Brasie 
welcomed BANA and showed a video about Clovernook. Chairman of the Board Doug 
Armstrong sent his wishes for a successful meeting and extended his regrets that he 
couldn't meet with BANA personally during our visit to Cincinnati. 


3 Seating of BANA Members and New Representatives 


Kim Charlson, ACB; Diane Wormsley, AER; Frances Mary D’ Andrea, AFB; Jennifer 
Dunnam, NFB; Judy Dixon, NLS; and Mary Archer, NBA. 


4 Self-Introductions — Representatives and Observers 


Observers: Charlotte Begley, Gary Mudd, Jan Carroll, Joy Robinson, Dena Garrett, 
Eleanor Pester, Beth Enser, Peggy Forcade. 


Representatives: 

Kim Charlson, American Council of the Blind (ACB), Chair 

Frances Mary (FM) D'Andrea, American Foundation for the Blind (AFB) 
Warren Figueiredo, American Printing House for the Blind (APH) Vice-Chair 
Diane Wormsley, Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and 
Visually Impaired (AER) 

Mary (May) Davis, Associated Services for the Blind (ASB) 

Carol Morrison, Braille Institute of America (BIA) 

Darleen Bogart, Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIB) 


Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 l 


Susan (Sue) Reilly, California Transcribers and Educators of the Visually 
Handicapped (CTEVH), Treasurer 

David Grimes, Clovernook Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired (CCBVI) 

Mary Archer, National Braille Association (NBA), Secretary 

William Raeder, National Braille Press (NBP) in the excused absence of Eileen Curran 

Jennifer Dunnam, National Federation of the Blind (NFB) 

Judy Dixon, National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS) 

Mary Czepyha, Administrative Assistant 


5 NIGEL IO Arrangements cass sa canis wears ten a vend ats a E E bena David Grimes 
David Grimes concluded his explanation of the meeting arrangements. 

6 Board's Liability Statement ccs su scaneeus siendersgncegsdin ieendore Gane hcecaamaalersaes es Mary Archer 
BANA indemnifies its Officers and Board of Directors and holds them harmless 
from all claims of every kind, including court expenses, attorney’s fees, and the 
claimed amount arising from the performance of their duties as Officers and 
Directors except for their own acts of dishonesty and gross negligence. (Adopted 
March 30, 1987) 

7 PABST A Approval A ae a a a a A Aeesbiecedmenes Kim Charlson 


MSC Frances Mary D’Andrea moved that the agenda be approved as printed. 
Passed unanimously. 


8 Braille Formats Technical Committe ess iss aisha ati A aalesssiatea nnieseeakss Lynnette Taylor 

8.1 Report and Board Charges 
Report read by David Grimes and on file. 

MSC Darleen Bogart moved that the Formats Committee work with the Outreach 
Committee to prepare a survey on format issues for menus, knitting and 
crocheting patterns in order to publish it in news letters for comment by 
braille readers. Passed unanimously 


8.2 Budget 


$5100 was authorized for the committee's work and a face-to-face meeting at 
Perkins in 2005. 


8.3 Appointments 


MSC David Grimes moved that Debbie Gillespie and Deborah Brown be 
Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 2 


reappointed as full committee members and that Ann Kelt be appointed 
committee member pro tem for the duration of the Braille Formats revision 
process. All terms are for two years. Passed unanimously. 


MSC Warren Figueiredo moved that Jean Simpson and Dena Garrett be 
appointed as consultants to the Braille Formats Committee for one-year 
terms. Passed unanimously. 


Bill Raeder asked about the structure of BANA technical committees regarding observers, 
consultants, etc. He asked why anyone who was interested couldn't be an observer of such 
a committee. Darleen Bogart commented that open observers of committees worked well 
for the development of UEBC. 


Ralph Bartley joined the meeting as an observer. 


The Braille Formats Committee has had success in using Ivocalize as a communication 
vehicle for their work. Concern was expressed that the board is left out of discussions 
because the listserv is not being used. Chairs of Technical Committees will be asked to 
provide a written summary of telephone or online discussions/meetings. The Board will 
investigate the use of Ivocalize to work and communicate between meetings. 


9 Computer Technical Committee sais die ass .csiueesceeeanvearieiiitin sha iearaeueabniiesanes Betty Teachman 
9.1 Report and Board Charges 

May Davis read the report and it is on file. The CBC Committee seems to be 
having some difficulty making decisions on issues that the board has charged them 
to address. Kim Charlson will have a conversation with Betty Teachman regarding 
the functionality of the committee. The idea of adding a consultant to the 
committee might help this situation. Kim will discuss this idea with Betty 
Teachman. The use of angle brackets in general literature as opposed to use in 


computer programming was discussed briefly. 


Diane Wormsley suggested the possibility of technical committees using the 
Research Committee and Outreach Committees as resources in their deliberations. 


9.2 Budget 
No funds were requested at this time. 
9.3 Appointments 


MSC Carol Morrison moved that Melissa Hirshson and Sandra 
Ruconich be reappointed for two-year terms. Passed unanimously. 


Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 3 


9.4 The Board discussed the recommendation that a CBC special symbols page be 
incorporated into a standard special symbols page. We had input from Open 
Forum participants that will be provided to the committee. Perhaps with 
the addition of a consultant the committee will be able to reach a decision on this issue. 
The meeting adjourned for lunch at 11:40 AM 
The Board had the opportunity to tour the Clovernook facilities. 
The meeting reconvened at 1:10 PM 


Jackie Conner from the NLS Multistate Center East joined the meeting as an observer. 


10 Special Presentation: ABC Braille Study — Ralph Bartley and Eleanor Pester, APH; 
Frances Mary D'Andrea, AFB 


The study goals and methodology were discussed regarding the teaching of contracted or 
uncontracted braille for beginning readers. The study's progress thus far was reported, and 
plans for the future were outlined . 
11 Ad Hoc Committee on Early Literacy Materials Production ................... Susan Christensen 
11.1 Report and Board Charges 
Warren Figueiredo read the report and it is on file. Susan Christensen has resigned 
as committee chair. Betsy Burnham will become the chair of this committee. A 
work plan will be developed for the completion of the early literacy materials 


production project. 


MSC Darleen Bogart moved to appoint Betsy Burnham as chair of the Ad Hoc 
Early Literacy Materials production Committee. Passed unanimously. 


11.2 Budget 

No budget was requested at this point. 
11.3 Appointments 

None at this time. 


12 Ad Hoc Foreign Language Committee a..2..0ccssscssacsases canassteceddesasscasesnstcbesventecesess Ann Kelt 


Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 4 


12.1 Report and Board Charges 
Kim read the report and it is on file. Mary Archer reported that Joanne Baldwin, 
who has been working on finishing the Foreign Language Manual, is currently 
serving as a volunteer for NLS reading Nemeth lessons and grading certification 
tests and has therefore been interrupted on the foreign language project. 

12.2 Budget 
$1000 was requested by the committee. 

12.3 Appointments 
None at this time. 

13 Refreshable Braille Technical Committee... ee eeeeeeseeeneeesneeeseeeens Jennifer Dunnam 

13.1 Report and Board Charges 
Since Jennifer Dunnam is now the representative for NFB she can no longer serve 
as chair of the committee per BANA Policies. Jennifer made a recommendation 
that the board consider asking Caryn Navy to serve as chair of the Refreshable 
Braille Committee. Kim will contact Caryn and ask her to serve and a final vote on 
appointing a chair for the committee will take place via e-mail. 


Judy Dixon was appointed as liaison to this committee. 


Judy Dixon discussed the problems surrounding not having a consistent ASCII 
character set for braille displays. Considerable discussion of this topic took place. 


MSC Judy Dixon moved that the Refreshable Braille Committee be charged with, 
by fall of 2005, to review and compare the existing 256-character ASCII 
braille tables used by refreshable braille displays and braille embossers in 
North America; to recommend a 256-character ASCII braille table suitable 
for use by relevant hardware and software producers. Passed unanimously 

13.2 Budget 
No funds were requested at this time. 


13.3 Appointments 


MSC Jennifer Dunnam moved that Sharon Monthei be appointed to the committee 
for a two year term. Passed unanimously. 


Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 5 


Other committee vacancies will be filled via an e-mail vote. 
14 Literary Technical Committee sis. ions eccv tesserae dans niecievnevdews devciov antes Martha Pamperin 


MSC Darleen Bogart moved to appoint Nancy Barker from Toronto to the BANA 
Literary Technical Committee to fill the unexpired term of Phyllis Landon 
who has resigned. E-mail vote to end 06-25-2004. Passed unanimously. 


MSC Darleen Bogart moved that Tom Keith from Toronto be appointed as a 
consultant to the BANA Literary Technical Committee. E-mail vote to end 
06-26-2004. Passed unanimously. 


MSC Darleen Bogart moved that the BANA Board accept the resignation of 
Margaret Robinson from the Literary Technical Committee and that Anna 
Lee Braunstein be appointed to fill the unexpired term of Margaret 
Robinson. E-mail vote to end 08-16-2004. Passed unanimously. 


MSC Darleen Bogart moved that the BANA Board consider the recommendation 
of the Literary Committee and that BANA make a formal request that the 
International Council on English Braille’s UEB (Unified English Braille) 
committee consider changing symbols for copyright, trademark, and 
registered trademark to those used by the Braille Authority of the United 
Kingdom (BAUK) i.e. dots 4-5C, 4-5R and 4-5T for copyright, registered 
trademark, and trademark respectively. E-mail vote to end 10-15-2004. 
Voting yes: FM, WF, DW, MS, CM, DB, MA, EC, RR, MLS, DG. Not 
voting: SR 


14.1 Report and Board Charges 


Darleen Bogart read the report and the report is on file. In addition to the thanks 
that Martha Pamperin mentioned in her report, the Board thanks Martha for her 
leadership of this committee. Perhaps this committee could investigate using 
Ivocalize also. We will wait until we hear back from UEB regarding copyright, 
registered trademark, and trademark to respond to the committee regarding this 
issue. 


The Board will request clarification from the committee regarding the rationale for 
choosing the dots they did for opening and closing angle brackets. 


The Board requests clarification regarding why the change is being proposed in the 


letter sign rule. The Board also recommends revision of the language so that the 
rule is stated in a simpler form. 


Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 6 


14.2 Budget 
$3,700 is being requested for committee work and a face-to-face meeting in 2005. 
14.3 Appointments 
MSC Darleen Bogart moved that Nancy Barker, Anna Lee Braunstein, and 
Joseph Sullivan be reappointed for two-year terms. Passed 


unanimously 


MSC Darleen Bogart moved that Norma Schecter and Tom Keith be 
reappointed as consultants for a one-year term. Passed unanimously. 


16 Music Technical Committee x..3..6 Aapcsaee oscatdons sia esanr sare senetaesgaeceeaannau gnats Lawrence Smith 
16.1 Report and Board Charges 
Report read by Judy Dixon and on file. 
16.2 Budget 
The committee requested $300 for its work. 
16.3 Appointments 

MSC Carol Morrison moved that Karen Gearreald be appointed as a 
consultant to the committee for a one-year term. Passed 
unanimously. 

MSC Carol Morrison moved that Karin Aukenthaler, Beverly McKenney 
and Harvey Miller be reappointed for two year terms. Passed 
unanimously. 

Jennifer Dunnam was appointed as liaison to the Music Technical Committee. 

The meeting adjourned at 4:50 PM. 

The Saturday, November 6th meeting was called to order at 9:08 AM at the hotel. 

15 Mathematics Technical Committee ...........ccecccccccsesceceeeeeneeeeeeeeeeeeenetaeeeeeees Betsy McBride 


15.1 Report and Board Charges 


Report read by Mary Archer and on file. 


Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 g 


The completion of the graphing calculator guidelines, the stem and leaf, and box 
and whisker plot guidelines are especially needed since these directly impact tactile 
graphics and several other projects. Mary Archer will clarify with the Mathematics 
Technical Committee as to where they are in the process. Also the committee will 
be reminded to use the listserv to conduct their work so that the Board can 
continue to monitor the discussion. 


MSC Warren Figueiredo moved to charge the committee to develop 
guidelines for producing the Periodic Table of Elements by reviewing 
the current methods of transcribing such material and recommending 
a standardized format by Fall of 2005. Passed unanimously. 


Discussion around this motion was focused not only about the Periodic Table of Elements 
that appears in textbooks but also portions of the table that appear in standardized 

tests. Concern was expressed about how this material was being transcribed since 

there are no guidelines for doing so at the present time. 


15.2 Budget 
$300 was requested for the committee's work. 
15.3 Appointments 


MSC Warren Figueiredo moved that Anthony Evancic and Susan 
Osterhaus be reappointed to two-year terms and that Allison O’ Day 
be reappointed as consultant for a one-year term. Passed 
unanimously. 


15.4 Nemeth Code Errata Clarification 


MSH Mary Archer moved that BANA approve the submitted Nemeth errata and 
the hand written division problem as part of the Nemeth Code and distribute 
it accordingly. 


This motion was put on hold until it can be determined that Canada and the US are sending 
the same errata material to Nemeth transcribers and the ruling that the 

Mathematics Technical Committee made regarding the handwritten division 

problem can be clarified. The motion will be dealt with by an e-mail vote. 


15.5 Consideration of Nemeth Code Reference Sheet published by National Braille 
Press as an approved BANA publication 


The Mathematics Technical Committee recommends that this publication be 
approved by BANA. 


Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 8 


17 


18 


19 


20 


GC The Publications Committee will develop language that can be used to show 
BANA approval of documents produced in collaboration with other 
organizations. 

Tactile Graphics Technical Committee sa..assssscctousceconoltancetecsrecenwusnesis taenana vans Lucia Hasty 

17.1 Report and Board Charges 


Carol Morrison read the report and the report is on file. 


National Braille Association will make the Guidelines for Mathematics Diagrams 
available to be included in this document. 


This will be an expensive publication. The Board discussed the possibility of 
raising funds for this project. 


17.2 Budget 
$1600 
17.3 Appointments 
MSC Carol Morrison moved that Constance Craig and Diane Spence be 
reappointed for two-year terms and that Susan Osterhaus be 
reappointed as consultant for one year. Passed unanimously. 
Nominating Committee Report ¥.<..c02.......ccdcsessescadedsendecessevcedecsevsndeccsoses oe Darleen Bogart 
Darleen presented the Nominating Committee report. 
Fleciom OL OMG CTS: 5 fete oles e es cere ada Mian tae URN gaat a aoe Reet Darleen Bogart 
MSC Frances Mary D’Andrea moved that the slate of officers be approved 
unanimously: Kim Charlson, chair; Warren Figueiredo, vice-chair; Carol 
Morrison, secretary; and Sue Reilly, Treasurer. Passed unanimously. 
Mary Archer was appointed to the Nominating Committee. 
Research Committee Report. sicscicccsccsscesscdevidisdessanardsesedsedsstencsdensdss Frances Mary D’ Andrea 
MSC Frances Mary D’Andrea moved that the BANA Ad Hoc Committee on 


UEBC Research be renamed the BANA Ad Hoc Committee on Braille 
Research. E-mail vote to end 06-30 2004. Passed unanimously. 


Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 9 


20.1 Report and Board Charges 


MSC Frances Mary D’Andrea moved to charge the committee to promote 
and conduct research and provide opportunities for partnerships to 
answer questions related to braille reading and writing which have an 
impact on braille codes. Passed unanimously. 


MSC Diane Wormsley moved to charge this committee to serve as a resource to 
the technical committees to assist them in determining appropriate 
ways to collect information to answer specific questions with which 
they have been charged. Passed unanimously. 


Frances Mary D’ Andrea read the report and the report is on file. 


The list of remaining research questions will be clarified, the website will be used to inform 
interested parties regarding what still needs to be researched. 


Frances Mary explained the process that was used with Drs. Knowlton and Wetzel to 
complete their report. They responded to a list of questions that the research 
committee asked regarding clarification and further questions. The committee will 
be asking them to prepare an abstract for the BANA website. Frances Mary 

D’ Andrea will write a thank-you note to Knowlton and Wetzel. 


Do NBA or others planning on conducting research need a research protocol? 
The National Center for Leadership in Visual Impairment is developing a protocol 
for research. Diane Wormsley will share this information when it becomes 
available. 


20.2 Budget 
$800 plus about $1200 to be returned from Knowlton and Wetzel to total $2000 
20.3 Appointments 
None at this time 
21 Education & Outreach Committee Report... cceccccesseceesenteeeeeseteeeeeeeaes Eileen Curran 
MSC Eileen Curran moved that BANA disband the Ad Hoc Committee on UEBC 
Education and the Public Outreach Committee. E-mail vote to end 06-04- 
2004. Passed unanimously. 
MSC Eileen Curran moved that BANA form an Outreach and Education 


Committee and that this committee be charged with informing and soliciting 
input from stakeholders on BANA activities and projects through 


Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 10 


publications and presentations. E-mail vote to end 06-08-2004. Voting yes: 
FM, WF, Sandy R. MD, CM, DB, MA, EC, RR, MLS. Not voting: SR 
Supporting after the deadline: DG 

21.1 Report and Board Charges 


Warren Figueiredo read the report and the report is on file. 


NBA and BANA will work together on the Braille Readers Speak Out/ Open Forum at 
the next meeting which is being hosted by NBA in Dallas. 


Discussion about reissuing Sampler 1. It will need updating if we do reissue it. 
Darleen Bogart will check Sampler 1 to see what changes need to be made and 
correct the files. The Outreach Committee will be asked to write an introduction 
for the updated Sampler. 

21.2 Budget 
$800 

21.3 Appointments 


Jennifer Dunnam, Judy Dixon, and Diane Wormsley were appointed to this 
committee. 


22 Publications (CO MILLS: choca scat wah saosin ctiesaa techy edbeaktu can tue sauonchugaanatacera Warren Figueiredo 

Budget $6000 for 50 copies of Tactile Graphics 

Warren Figueiredo read the report and the report is on file. GH Braille has a grant to 

produce the electronic version of the Nemeth Code. Warren will talk to David 

Schleppenbach regarding content and accuracy of the version. 

MSC Warren Figueiredo moved that this committee be charged with working cooperatively 
with appropriate organizations to assure that any electronic version of the Nemeth 
Code be accurate and accessible. Passed unanimously. 

MSC Warren Figueiredo moved that BANA purchase copies of British Braille and 
RNIB Braillist Manual for the Chair of Braille Formats and Literary Braille 
Technical Committees. Passed unanimously 


Press Release: New members, Open Forum, elected officers. 


22.1 Publications Guidelines 


Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 11 


24 


25 


26 


2222 


22.3 


The Publication Guidelines will be issued in the format used by the BAUK 
document British Braille. 


GC The Publications Committee will develop language that can be used to 
show BANA approval of documents produced in collaboration with 
other agencies/organizations. 

BANA Brochures 

When the brochures are updated they will be made available on the website. 


BANA Website 


Warren Figueiredo continues to update the website. 


BY Laws neoin eee ie ni ee eae R Mary Lou Stark 


There are no changes incorporated since the last version of the by-laws. Judy 
Dixon was appointed the chair of the By-laws Committee 


Topics to be addressed in BANA Bylaws and Policies include incorporating the 
Research and Outreach and Education Committees and their functions into the 
appropriate document. A process should be developed for distributing additions to 
codes in a more timely manner. 


State cic: Planning sisareen E AE E At ince E NEA Kim Charlson 


Kim reported on the session held on Thursday which focused on communication. 
She reported that most CEOs were okay with the increase in dues. Kim was 
complemented on her letter. Fund raising was discussed. Board members were 
asked to be alert for potential sources of funds. Perhaps some local chapters of 
NFB or ACB could be approached for funds. Maybe BANA needs a Fund 
Development Committee. 


ICEB/UEBC Update 
Project Repoti rsaneron eet EE AA E ER E ERR NS Darleen Bogart 
Report attached 


Secretary's Report 


26.1 


Minutes: Spring 2004n eii i i E uae aeade ewan Mary Archer 


MSC Mary Archer moved that the minutes of the BANA Board meeting for 
Spring 2004 be adopted with corrections. E-mail vote to end 06-01- 
2004, Voting yes: WF, MD, CM, SR, DB, MA, EC, RR, DG. Not 
voting: FM, Sandy R, MLS. 


Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 12 


26.2 Certificates of AprecialiOn:, <.:.csducnacon tx ctdciinsatnnhtaataine tinacaeather Kim Charlson 
Certificates will be sent to Bettye Krolick, Ruby Ryles, and Mary Lou Stark thanking them for 
their service, and a special certificate will be sent to Bernard Krebs for his contributions to 
Braille in early 2005. Certificates have been sent to Phyllis Landon and Margaret 
Robinson. 

26.3- ~ Directory, Update cxccc dune ancsccuewmeeti aunt au eae encase Mary Archer 
Updates will be incorporated into the directory. 

20:42 “BANA Exþibit csecs.cson GecncteSicah ale une a eae Warren Figueiredo 
The content of the trunk needs updating. BANA will exhibit at CTEVH and NBA. 

26.5" SSUAMONERY <ticn cece dds BN E E ee eases Slee eae e ae Warren Figueiredo 
No news on this front 

26:07 BANAS TASESCL VS caso a wa a eaa epee tones oats Kim Charlson 
The listserv addresses were checked. 

27 Standard of Braille -ExpectanOtiea: «csansstannianachan ian wianianineas Kim Charlson 
Mary Archer will send Kim a copy of NBA’s code of ethics. 
28 Press Release a teats aan E O A aa Warren Figueiredo 


MSC Warren Figueiredo moved that BANA adopt (with input for changes from 


the group) the press release dealing with BANA’s participation in the Fourth 
General Assembly of the ICEB. Voting to end 04-08-2004. Passed 
unanimously with DB, EC, MLS voting after the deadline. 


Warren Figueiredo and Kim Charlson will draft the press release following this meeting. 


29 Treasurer S RO OTE e a e ated aoe a a ea a e e cade Sue Reilly 
29.1 2003 year-end financial Statements (corrected) 
On file 
29.2 2004 Financial statement 
Report on file and read by Sue Reilly 
29.3 2005 Budget 


Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 13 


30 


31 


32 


33 


33 


Sue went over the budget for 2005. She will send us a file with the budget. Bill 
Raeder suggested requesting a grant so that the Tactile Graphics book could be 
sold at a reduced price. 


MSC Jennifer Dunnam moved that we accept the treasure’s report as 
amended. Passed unanimously. 


MSC David Grimes moved that the 2005 Budget in the amount of $26,000 
be adopted as discussed. Passed unanimously. 


1EYAINPA S a DIOT g Ee 1 a ME A A E des Eileen Curran 
No report. 


International Braille Organizations 


31.1 World Braille G OUmell iets cae. ete ae vecsrhaesens tc ote ovens oavedastanieaness Darleen Bogart 
See appended report. 


31.2 WBU North America/Caribbean Region ............cccccceceeeceeeeeeteeeeeeeeees Kim Charlson 
The WBU Braille Music survey is being tabulated. 


31.3 French Braille unification update s.ccctentienoiincuousawntuan Darleen Bogart 
See appended report. 


31.4 Other Country Initiatives 
Updates were read from Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa. Darleen 
Bogart reported on the developments in Canada. (See appended report on 
Canada.) 

Unfinished Business 

32.1 AFB Solutions FOrum..............:cccccsescccsssssrcessesssrtsesssesseees Frances Mary D’ Andrea 
FM reported on the Solutions Forum. They last met at the APH Annual meeting. 

New Busines Sorone eegne an i ocucnens sa aa ae a aar Kim Charlson 
No new business. 


Around the 4 NAIC: ccde uss wetddast dics bsuecoate babes wueatdak wengedcan All BANA representatives 


The representatives reported on the news from their respective organizations. 


Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 14 


35 


36 


Fútüte BANA meeting Seetee an a a a Geeta toni a Kim Charlson 


Spring 2005 — NBA Dallas April 17, 2005. Addison Marriott Quorum. Committee 
meetings Sunday morning. Board meeting Sunday | PM through 5 PM Tuesday April 19, 
2005. 


Fall 2005 — NFB 
Spring 2006 — BIA 
Fall 2006 — AER 
Spring 2007 — APH 
Fall 2007 — ASB 
Spring 2008 — NLS 
Fall 2008 — NBP 
Spring 2009 —- CTEVH 
Fall 2009 — AFB 
Spring 2010 — ACB 
Fall 2010 — CNIB 
Spring 2011 — CCBVI 


David Grimes was thanked for the hospitality of Clovernook and for the efforts he and his 
wife Rhonda made in making this meeting a success. 


Ador AMen ae eR RR Ae URE RR ety OR RO TO EISNER e fie ROT At Ree n Kim Charlson 
Meeting adjourned at 12:55 PM. 


Submitted by 
Mary Archer, Secretary 


Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 15 


Appended reports 


International Council on English Braille 
November, 2004 


General Assembly, March 28 - April, 2004 


The five-day General Assembly was a huge success in every aspect. 
Wonderful support was provided by CNIB and CBA in funds, staff and 
volunteer support, and materials. 


There were five papers presented to the GA: interim reports on two research 
papers on UEB - the one commissioned by BANA by Knowlton and Wetzel 
and the one by Elaine Gerber for CBA; one on the count done by CNIB re 
number/letter number/punctuation combinations in a variety of texts, both 
literary and technical material; Dr. Nemeth's critique of UEBC; and a paper 
by some Japanese braille researchers on their revision of the Japanese 
code with UEBC technical symbols. 


The UEBC reports took up most of the Assembly's time with very good 
discussion. The main resolution is the UEB was approved as an 
international standard for English braille; UEB was deemed sufficiently 
complete for braille authorities to consider its adoption, and consultation with 
stakeholders should be a part of the process. 


All seven members of ICEB had delegations - Australia, Canada, New 
Zealand, Nigeria, South Africa, the United Kingdom and the United States. 


The next GA will be in Australia, probably in March 2009. The Executive will 
meet in approximately two years in South Africa. 


ICEB Initiatives 


The Executive created the UEB Committee (overarching) to complete the 
work on UEB and resolve any conflicts. | agreed to continue with the project 
as chair once again. 


We have appointed working groups for: Rules, Format Best Practices, 
Linguistics and probably Contractions. Rules has an excellent committee, 


Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 16 


chaired by Antonnette Botha from South Africa. There is a Math Sub- 
committee chaired by Janet Reynolds from New Zealand. Format Best 
Practices is ably chaired by Reinette Popplestone from South Africa. 
Linguistics does not yet have a chair. | have just asked that a Contractions 
group be established to deal with contractions bridging syllables. 


Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Canada have all passed 
resolutions to proceed with UEB consultation and implementation planning. 
UK and USA will not be following the lead of these four countries at the 
present time. But both are involved with the continuation of the UEB project 
and have named members to most working groups. | had hoped to have an 
update from Nigeria but it has not come. 


ICEB is actively seeking a chair for the Research Committee so that 
research initiatives can be undertaken. 


BANA's request to have symbols for copyright, trademark and registered 
trademark changed to those used in British Braille has gone to the UEB 
Committee. 


Also being considered is having the listservs of all working groups available 
to observers. 


Darleen Bogart 


Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 17 


WORLD BRAILLE COUNCIL 
November, 2004 


The World Braille Council Ad Hoc Working Group of the World Blind Union 
is being chaired by Sir John Wall of England. 


The WBU is meeting this December in Cape Town for its General 
Assembly. The WBC has been asked to become responsible for all aspects 
of braille for WBU: the Braille Literacy Committee, Louis Braille Clubs, Louis 
Braille Home and Museum, and the encouragement of braille 
standardization within linguistic groups. 


There will be a "fringe" meeting in Cape Town of the WBC to consider the 
proposal of Mr. Bjorn Lovsted, Managing Director of Index, a Swedish 
company which manufactures braille embossers and WinBraille, braille 
translation software. Mr. Lovsted's paper was endorsed by the WBU 
Officers at their meeting in Norway October 2-3. The proposal is to make 
braille translation software for all languages available free of charge on the 
WinBraille editor. WBU is expected to endorse this politically, organize a 
web-based database where these Braille Translation Files would be 
available, make new Braille Translation Files for new languages, include 
BTF on WBU agendas, and work to establish BTF as a global "de facto" 
standard and not support any other companies braille translation software. 


3rd IDP Forum in Johannesburg, May 27, 2004 


Reinette Popplestone presented an overview of UEB for the African 
countries represented. Discussion brought out many points about the need 
for standardization within Africa and universally for braille and also tactile 
graphics, and for page and line size. Uganda spoke about their difficulties 
working in both the US and UK systems. It was suggested that XML should 
be accepted as the basic standard for all countries. India made a plea for a 
single math code. Ghana had thought that "braille was braille" but they now 
teach a standard form to their young children. ICEVI is willing to co-ordinate 
efforts but thought that they should liaise with WBU on the matter. They 
cited the need for a list of braille producers, standard catalogue entries, and 
a database of holdings. The need to develop software to support local 
languages was also mentioned. 


French Braille Unification Update 
Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 18 


November, 2004 


The international committee met in Paris a year ago. A compromise has 
been reached in that both upper numbers and antoin numbers (upper 
numbers with a dot 6 added) may be used. Testing between the two types 
of numbering is being carried out in Canada with 100 high school examples 
being used. Canada does not use the antoin numbers but some European 
countries have used them in some technical codes. 


There has been much intense discussion around typeform indicators. There 
is a proposal that there be a general indicator dots 456, with 456 456 
opening a passage and 456 closing it after the last word in the passage. It 
would be used for any type of emphasis and is non-specific. The number of 
words in a passage is currently two, but is under discussion to bring it to 
three words. 


There are also specific indicators when the specific typeform is required: 
italics would be 456 35, bold 456 2356 and underlining 456 25. 


Work is being done by Pierre Ferland from Canada and a French 
representative on format guidelines. 


The committee meets in June 2005 in Lausanne, Switzerland. 


Darleen Bogart 


Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 19 


French Braille Unification Update 
November, 2004 


The international committee met in Paris a year ago. A compromise has 
been reached in that both upper numbers and antoin numbers (upper 
numbers with a dot 6 added) may be used. Testing between the two types 
of numbering is being carried out in Canada with 100 high school examples 
being used. Canada does not use the antoin numbers but some European 
countries have used them in some technical codes. 


There has been much intense discussion around typeform indicators. There 
is a proposal that there be a general indicator dots 456, with 456 456 
opening a passage and 456 closing it after the last word in the passage. It 
would be used for any type of emphasis and is non-specific. The number of 
words in a passage is currently two, but is under discussion to bring it to 
three words. 


There are also specific indicators when the specific typeform is required: 
italics would be 456 35, bold 456 2356 and underlining 456 25. 


Work is being done by Pierre Ferland from Canada and a French 
representative on format guidelines. 


The committee meets in June 2005 in Lausanne, Switzerland. 


Darleen Bogart 


Fall 2004 Adopted 1-25-05 20